Cory Doctorow burst on the SF scene in 2000 like a rocket, inspiring awe in readers (and envy in other writers) with his bestselling novels and stories, which he insisted on giving away via Creative Commons. Meanwhile, as coeditor of the wildly popular blog Boing Boing, he became the radical new voice of the Web, boldly arguing for internet freedom from corporate control.
Doctorow’s activism and artistry are both on display in this Outspoken Author edition. The crown jewel is his novella The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, the high-velocity adventures of a transhuman teenager in a toxic post-Disney dystopia, battling wireheads and wumpuses (and having fun doing it!) until he meets the “meat girl” of his dreams, and is forced to choose between immortality and sex.
Plus a live transcription of Cory’s historic address to the 2010 World SF Convention, “Creativity vs. Copyright,” dramatically presenting his controversial case for open-source in both information and art.
Also included is an international Outspoken Interview (Skyped from England, Canada, and the U.S.) in which Doctorow reveals the surprising sources of his genius.
- “Doctorow uses science fiction as a kind of cultural WD-40, loosening hinges and dissolving adhesions to peer into some of society’s unlighted corners.” —New York Times
- “Utterly contemporary and deeply peculiar—a hard combination to beat (or, these days, to find).” —William Gibson, author of Neuromancer
- “Everything comes under Doctorow’s microscope, and he manages to be both up to date and off the cuff in the best possible way.” —Locus
- “One of the genre’s fresh new talents, one of the few who seamlessly mixes the future with the bizarre.” —Rocky Mountain News
- “Doctorow shows us life from the point-of-view of the plugged-in generation and makes it feel like a totally alien world.” —Montreal Gazette
About Cory Doctorow:
Cory Doctorow is a science fiction author, activist, journalist and blogger—the co-editor of Boing Boing and the author of novels For the Win and the bestselling Little Brother among many others. He is the former European director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and co-founded the UK Open Rights Group. Born in Toronto, Canada, he now lives in London.
Author: Cory Doctorow
Publisher: PM Press – Outspoken Author Series
Published: November 2011
Size: 7.5 by 5
Page count: 144 Pages
Subjects: Science Fiction